Monday, February 5, 2018

The Tunnels by Greg Mitchell

I received the book "The Tunnels" by Greg Mitchell for free from Blogging for Books in exchange for an unbiased review.
I was excited to read this book from the moment I accepted it. I love history and I love reading about the cold war era because we really are not taught much about it. This book did not disappoint my high expectations. In fact it exceeded them! Greg Mitchell is a wonderful story teller. My heart was hammering in my chest as these people crawled through a tunnel underneath the feet of East Berlin Stasi. I wept along with a man who held his baby for the first time after reuniting with his family in the West. And I cried along with the countless families who lost their loved ones to failed escape attempts.
While this book shed light on some uncomfortable and dark corners of our history as Americans. It also shed light on an event in world history that I might never have been able to comprehend without reading this book.
I found myself flipping back to the photos provided in the book in order to put faces with the people I was reading about. In some cases this was a mistake as it made the book harder to get through. The photos made everything more real to me. It was definitely a difficult read but it was rewarding. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about the history of the Berlin wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment